Thursday, July 15, 2010

You Got Me

Most people would say I have a pretty modern and non-traditionalist take on life.  I tend to like to rebel against the status quo.  I don't like traditions, I prefer to make every thing I do, my own.  However, there is one small area, that happens to be a big part of most of our lives, where my views are atypical to that which I would normally subscribe.

The Roles of Men and Women

I had a conversation recently with someone, and I was telling him that I believe that while women set the stage for whether a man has a chance with her, it is ultimately up to that man to choose her, to pick her for himself.  Sounds a little archaic huh...well, lemme explain. 

I used to think this kind of thing was ridiculous...that women were nurturers and caregivers and men were hunters, gatherers, and providers.  I thought that women and men could and should be all of those things interchangeably depending on the need in the family...and I still do believe that.  HOWEVER, I think that generally, we are going to take on one of these sets of roles more than the other.  So, in my opinion, God has set a foundation for what He knows to be the best situation for a man and woman to create a stable family for a lifetime.  Biologically, men are hunters and gatherers.  Men tend to be stronger, bigger, more logical, , competitive, and task-oriented.   Women tend to be better with communicating, emotion, are physically weaker but more flexible, better team players, and results oriented.  Within a family, both perceptions are needed in decision making...but before you even get to the family, the simple act of picking a mate must take place.  That, I believe...should be left up the man. 

Now, I am not saying women should sit idly by and wait on a man to pick them...you have to make yourself attractive, interesting, and available to the type of men you want to be with.  Once you set your sights on him, because you may actually notice him before he notices you, you have to be willing to put yourself into the spotlight just a tad, to make an impression.  If you make the right impression, and if that man is right for you, he will take notice.  As long as you keep each other interested, when the time comes to decide if you all should take your casual relationship further into a more serious one...I think that you should be chosen...
The thrill of the hunt is in the chase...and if you are only doing a small jog, it will be an easy conquest...keep going on with your life, live, have fun, make him a part of your life, but not your entire life...and keep running...he will catch you if he wants you...and if he wants to keep you, he will choose you to be with him, because all of this is about timing...you miss out on your chance, you may never get the chance again. 

Now, I a am a pretty tough cookie...so it is going to take someone strong and convicted in what he wants to win me over enough for me to even make myself available to him...but once that is done, I am pretty much ripe for the picking.  You have to pick strong and sure though.  I don't want to have to assure you, or make you believe I am the right pick.  I will do my part to show you what I have to offer if I believe we will make a good match, after that, the choice is yours....

"You can get with this, or you can get with that...but this is where it's at"

Song of the Day: You Got Me by the Roots and Erykah Badu

No comments:

Post a Comment