Thursday, June 24, 2010

My First Love

Long as I live, you will always be, my first love...

MUSIC!

I love music, just as long as its groovin...
Okay, enough already, but I love music.

I have been having this love affair since I can remember.
There is a picture of me in a blue and red jumpsuit, holding an LP, an album, yes, they had those
when I was a kid, ready for someone to play my song...and I would dance.
I would dance anywhere, anytime, in front of anyone...because that is what you do, when you love music.
You are moved by it emotionally, physically, it moves something in your spirit in your soul.

Ever heard the words...

"Love has, truly, been good to me..."

And it just made your heart open up like a rose in bloom.

Or...

"About a half a mile from heaven, you dropped me back down to this cold, cold world..."

When someone has just torn your heart in two...

It is like Luther and Stevie were talking to you, like they knew your pain, like they had written and sang that song, just for you.

Music is powerful, it is universal, it is beautiful, and it is magical.

I remember hearing the song "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera...not necessarily one of my favorite singers...and I cried.  I was having a time in my life, where I felt insecure, I felt alone, I cannot recall now if it was at the hands of some fool boy or I was just having a moment...but everytime I heard that song, it made me feel better about myself.  I started to sing it to myself...as I went to sleep...and even though my voice is nowhere near as beautiful as hers...it wasn't the sound, it was the meaning, the feeling behind the words, that took me to another place.  A place where I felt safe and secure.
I don't think anyone ever knew I loved that song...but each time I hear it, even now...it awakens something in me, and it makes me feel whole.

I love music...

In college, I was in love with Mary J. Blige, and I recall hearing "Deep Inside" for the first time, and recalling that piano melody I had heard many times before...ELTON JOHN!  I ran out the next day and bought Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, the album "Bennie and the Jets" was on...and playing it nonstop in my college apartment.  It was something about the piano in that song, it reminded me of some tripped out movie..."She's got electric boots a mohair suit"... I played that song each and every day for weeks, and I danced around my small room in my underwear in a trance.  I would listen to it, and feel like I could accomplish anything, once writing a 20 page paper in just a few hours, that song playing fanatically in the background.  Each time I hear it, it takes me back to those days, and I just wanna dance around in my underwear in a trance.

I love music...

I have similar stories about Peg by Steely Dan, Clocks by Coldplay, American Dreamin by Jay-Z, and Lovin is Really My Game by Brainstorm.  I remember my life in music...when I fell head over heels in love with hip hop the first time I heard Beats to the Rhyme by Run DMC...the first time I ever danced with a boy to Always by Atlantic Starr...
 
I love music...



Song of the Day: My First Love-Rene and Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment