Friday, October 1, 2010

I Hope You Dance

"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance ..."

A young lady that I know, not well, but know, has always struck me as this powerful force, and I wondered if she had any idea how powerful and commanding and PRESENT she always seemed to be.  I saw her online yesterday, and decided to send her a short note, to let her know that I had this on my heart and wanted her to know that she was inspiring and powerful, and to never fear being herself. 
Anyhow, I let her know...and I was amazed that she told me she had been feeling mistreated and unappreciated, and that while she was natuarally positive, she had begun to feel like maybe she was givign too much of herself. 
I assured her, and I believe, although I am human and not always in an emotional or mental place to put it in practice, that the way to combat hate, dishonesty, mistreatment, or any other disturbing behavior someone exhibits towards you is by showing them love, decency, and positivity.  That is not the same as being weak, as being a doormat, or as being passive...it is just the opposite.  It is showing strength, courage, and aggressiveness.  It is a positive reaction, but a reaction nonetheless.
It is hard to be one's true self sometimes.  It is hard to really stay present and live in the moment.  There are some of us who just seem to always be living in sync with our pulse...alive and aware at every moment.  Fully engaged in life.  I wanted this young woman to know that I saw that in her...that God had helped me recognize that in her, and that I felt it was important to share.  So often we get so caught up in our own problems, attitudes, and reality that we forget to acknowledge those around us who manage to somehow shine their light on everyone, no matter what is going on in their lives. 
Take time out to do the things that count, to tell people how they have affected you, what they mean to you, and remind them to dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment